Thursday, December 15, 2016

Lemtrada Year 2: Days 2 & 3


Notes so I remember:

Both days started with two needle sticks to insert the IV port. I've always had a really easy time with nurses finding a vein, but this week didn't go as well. Anyway, luckily she got it each day on the second try and the medicine started flowing.

I was super snoozy each day so I slept and then did the awkward jump and wake up thing in my chair.  I think the combination of Tylenol p.m. at night and a huge shot of Benadryl each morning knocked me out. 

On day two and three I had no issues with blood pressure or labored breathing; it was a very easy two days.

It was interesting to speak to the other two ladies who were also being treated for multiple sclerosis with the same medication. Before they were diagnosed, they had no idea what MS even was.

Multiple sclerosis is not new to my family.  I often think of my great aunt, Tia Elisita, my grandfather Federico's sister, who had MS. I only saw her a few times in my life but when I did she was full of smiles and sweetness. I remember her calling my dad "Peaches".  And then there's my Tia Aleida, my mom's sister, who also has MS. She is a fun and loving aunt and MS hasn't slowed her down. They are my inspiration and my reminders that life goes on, so keep on living it. 

Of course, my kids are also my daily reality check that life goes on.  On the homefront today, day three, was a cancelled day of school due to extreme cold. Luckily I had grandparents galore and our housekeeper to help out with the kids.

Then when I got home I had to make a phone call to the mother of a girl who is hosting a birthday party tomorrow. Gracie Jane is thrilled to be invited, but it is a semi-formal, boy/girl party so of course I had to speak to the parents to make sure there would be chaperones and no alcohol.

At the current stage of my disability, MS is a constant in my life, but it's not what matters most in my life. Not by a long shot. It's a PAIN IN THE BUTT, and some days very time consuming, but I'm thankful for my crazy, chaotic, LOUD family and friends to keep life
meaningful.


Year 2 of Lemtrada... DONE.

Now...gotta get these Christmas gifts wrapped somehow!  Life goes on in the best ways.  









No comments:

Post a Comment