Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Accessible Warsaw: Creighton's Crazy Egg Cafe

Creighton's Crazy Egg Cafe opened in Warsaw about six months ago.  I had heard rave reviews and was anxious to see for myself.  I was prepared for the coffee and food to be good, but....is it accessible?

I was happy to find "eggs"cellent (ugh... couldn't help myself) handicapped parking and a ramp right by the front door.  The ramp twirls around a silo; I love that it is part of the farm theme.  How cute!


So handy to have the ramp right by the parking spot! 
                                                                                 
Up the ramp I go! Functional and cute, a win!

When I arrived at the front doors, I was disappointed to see that there was no handicapped entry button. Once again I had a good friend with me and she opened the door of course, but I wish more restaurants and stores would put in these buttons to foster independence for all of us.

I got in the door and entered a cozy gathering space. We had plans to go for breakfast so we were heading to the tables, but this little nook would be a nice place to meet with friends and have coffee. There are no steps so it is completely accessible. I would be able to sit in my scooter or transfer out of it onto a comfortable chair.


Please join me for coffee!


With no wait, we went right to our table.  It is not always easy for me to transfer off of my scooter. There are times when the muscles in my legs tense up and are stick straight.  Luckily my friend Julie is not scared to get in there and bend my legs and help me as much as possible. There are times when it is easier than others, but there has never been a time when I haven't made it off my scooter to sit in a chair. Hopefully within the next six months I will be able to use my power chair and that part of the scenario will no longer be an issue. Once again, there were no steps at all inside the café so it was very easy for me to maneuver.
This picture didn't turn out that well, but it does show that they have low and high tables. I am not able to sit up in a tall chair, so I am glad there are options.
After a delicious breakfast, we headed to the restroom to see if it was as accessible as the rest of the café. I was very happy with what I found.


Wide and easy for a scooter to fit through!

A restroom can never have too many grab bars!

Creighton's Crazy Egg Café is a fun place to grab breakfast and coffee! I am positive I will be going back soon.

Creighton's Crazy Egg Café =**** (four out of five stars on my accessibility scale)
+ wonderful handicap parking
+ fun ramp that matches the theme and is useful
+ everything is on one level, easy to get around in a scooter
+ accessible bathrooms
- no button/automatic door








No comments:

Post a Comment